The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) was one of the most important laws ever enacted to protect employee benefits. ERISA was passed by the federal government in 1974 and sets minimum standards for pension plans and most health plans offered by private companies, including voluntary plans established for the protection of workers’ health and retirement security.
If you are covered by ERISA and those in charge of your benefits plan have breached their obligations to you, you need to take legal action. ERISA is a broad law, but it is also a complex law. You need an ERISA lawyer who understands all of the protections granted to employees and who is qualified to help you explore all possible avenues for legal recourse.
Three Decades of Financial Services and ERISA Litigation Experience
Zamansky LLC is a full-service firm experienced in ERISA claims, financial services litigation and arbitration. Firm founder Jacob Zamansky has been representing clients in a wide variety of ERISA claims and securities matters for more than three decades, and is routinely cited by the media on issues related to securities litigation and employee benefits.
ERISA requires employers to adequately fund employee pensions; imposes a fiduciary duty on plan managers; and mandates that employees be notified of all changes to benefits or plan terms. Employers are barred by ERISA from failure to fulfill their legal and fiduciary obligations to workers. ERISA obligations imposed on employers extend to:
- Defined benefit pension plans
- 401(k) plans offered through employers
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
- Medical, disability, and health benefits programs offered through employers
Failures on the part of employers or plan managers can result in civil and criminal action, with civil lawsuits aimed at allowing employees full financial recovery for losses. Because of the strong legal and financial backgrounds of our attorneys, Zamansky, LLC is uniquely qualified to represent clients in ERISA cases.
Beyond ERISA: How We Can Help
Bringing a case under ERISA is just one of the options available if you are deprived of employer-sponsored benefits. When the money you count on for your retirement is lost or mismanaged, our firm can help you explore all possible options for recovery including:
- ERISA Class Actions – Lawsuits against pension fund managers for violations of fiduciary duties imposed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
- 401(k) Plan Fee Litigation – Lawsuits when excessive fees charged by plan administrators affect the balance of employee 401K plans.
- Company Stock Litigation – Lawsuits against companies that provide inaccurate financial statements or misleading information about stock offerings.
- ERISA Claims Monitoring – ERISA claims arising from plan fiduciaries’ failure to monitor investments.
- Fiduciary Nondisclosure and Misrepresentation Claims – Lawsuits against employers who improperly reduce benefits or change plan terms without proper notice.
- Pension Plan Litigation – Lawsuits against employers who underfund pension funds or who use pension money for other business expenditures.
- Lawsuits against brokerage firms and financial advisors for negligent research and inappropriate investment decisions when managing pension funds.
The media and professional business publications turn to Zamansky, LLC for commentary while clients turn to the firm for professional advice and legal representation in ERISA class actions, ERISA claims monitoring, and all other pension and benefits matters. We aggressively advocate to ensure that employees secure the benefits they worked for and counted on for retirement. Contact an ERISA attorney at our firm today for advice and representation in your ERISA matter.